MICHAEL LOVATO | Professional Triathlete




Mounting the Comeback

Monday, March 30, 2009

I figured it would be appropriate to write a short blog update, as I’m trying to hold with the theme that short reports are better than no reports. Plus, as a reader pointed out, the tweets don’t do it for everyone!

After returning from Solvang, where I was the guest coach for www.solvangtriathloncamps.com, I got into a nice rhythm of training. I had turned the corner, and was feeling very strong in my workouts. A few key sessions told me that I was going to be ready to mix it up at my first race of the year: California 70.3.

I was lucky enough to log a couple of fun workouts with some good training partners. Pushing myself to keep up with James Bonney in the water was a great way to ramp up the swimming; running fast with guys like Richie Cunningham, Derrick Williamson and Bernard (cousin of Gilbert Tuhabonye and whose last name I don’t know) was a nice boost to the fitness and the confidence. And riding with the group here in town, as well as individual sessions with Todd “the Buffalo” Gerlach seemed to take the cycling up a notch as well. Suffice it to say I was rolling on a high.

Then I got hit with the BUG. Marking only the second time I’ve gotten sick in probably ten years, I had to log some serious couch time. Fortunately for me, Amanda was a few days ahead of me with the virus, and I was able to see what was coming down the pipelines at me. Also fortunate for me was that my sister, the Physician Assistant Extraordinaire, was able to prescribe the path to wellness. And finally, I was fortunate enough to only be on the couch-based liquid diet for two days. My body fought back, and I was able to get back out and about.

Returning to training, or to exercising, I should say, was pathetic. I had lost seven pounds overnight, and was struggling to keep moving. My hydration was excellent, and I was attempting to top off my electrolytes by downing Ultragen and EFS by the gallon. To add to the overall weakness, I went off the coffee. My poor, sensitive intestines were not capable of handling the good stuff, so I was buzz free for over five days!

Amanda bounced back from her bout with the bug, and the ensuing weakness of limb, just in time for the Capitol 10,000 yesterday. It was really cool for me to see her put up a good result. Her training has been incredible, and it’s been far too long since she last raced anywhere near her potential. She’s on track for a solid race in Oceanside this weekend.

And seeing Amanda back in the game gave me confidence that I will be able to toe the line this weekend with a full tank. I just returned from swim practice, and I was very encouraged to make it through the entire session. Now I’m fueling up for a little jaunt on the Kestrel.

Just a word to the wise: should you find yourself battling the “big D,” head straight for liquid diet of Sprite, EFS or Gatorade, Jello, and Ginger Ale. Wait it out, and don’t eat ANYTHING solid until you are symptom free!

3 Comment(s)

Eric on 6/1/09 said:

Nice to hear things are going well ML. Game On.

Missy on 6/1/09 said:

Hahaha, sorry, you said Richie Cunningham. Glad the both of you are out and about. Sounds like you lost all the weight I’ve been trying to unload…thanks!

Coach Mike on 6/1/09 said:

Good to hear you’re on the mend, vato.

Add a comment: